Privacy and Cookies Policy
Welcome to Kaara, the accounting software platform through which certain UK Business Owners to submit their taxes direct to HMRC in live time.
This is the website privacy and cookies policy for www.kaara.com (Site). The Site is operated, by Mortar Digital Technologies (we, us and our). For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, we are the data controller.
We are committed to protecting your privacy online. We appreciate that you do not want your personal information distributed indiscriminately and here we explain how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
In addition to this Privacy and Cookies Policy, the following additional terms also apply to your use of our platform:
For Customers: Platform Customer Terms
Information we may collect from you
Where you register as a Customer we will collect and process the following information about you:
- information (such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number) that you provide by completing forms on the Site, including where you register as a user of the Site, subscribe to any service, upload or submit any material via the Site, request any information
- in connection with your account sign-in facility, your login and password details;
- communications you send to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the Site or its content;
- information from surveys that we may, from time to time, run on the Site for research purposes, if you choose to respond to, or participate in, them; and
- any other information which you submit to the site.
Where you register as a customer we will collect and process the following information about you:
- name and email address of your employee registering your account;
- the name and nature of your business;
- corporate information such as company name and address;
- your VAT number;
- your contact details;
- information regarding your Products which you wish to advertise for sale on our platform;
- bank account details; and
- any other information which you submit to the Site.
You are under no obligation to provide any such information. Certain features, functions or content of the services made available through the Site are restricted to users who have registered with us. If you should choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
When you visit the Site, we may, by means of cookies and/or other similar technologies, automatically collect additional information about you – such as the type of internet browser or mobile device you use, any website from which you have come to the Site, your IP address (the unique address which identifies your computer or mobile device on the internet) and/or the operating system of your computer or mobile device. See Cookies and other technologies for more information.
Cookies and other technologies
When you interact with the Site, we try to make that experience simple and meaningful. When you visit the Site or access, a web server sends a cookie or other similar technology to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be). Cookies are small pieces of information which are issued to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or access or use a mobile App and which store and sometimes track information. A number of cookies we use last only for the duration of your web session and expire when you close your browser. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to the Site and will last for longer.
The cookies and/or other similar technologies we use collect information, such as the type of internet browser or mobile device you use, any website from which you have come to the Site Your IP address and/or the operating system of your computer or mobile device.
- Remember that you have visited us before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive. This allows us to make sure we have enough capacity for the number of users that we get;
- customise elements of the content of the pages of the Site;
- collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Site (including how long you spend on the Site) and where you have come to the Site from, so that we can improve the Site and learn which parts of the Site are most popular with users; and
- gather information about the pages on the Site that you visit, and also other information about other websites that you visit, so as to place you in a “market segment”. This information is then used to place interest-based advertisements on the Site which it is believed will be relevant to your market segment and also may be used to show you adverts about our services on during your online browsing.
- Some of the cookies used by the Site are set by us and some are set by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
- Most web and mobile device browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser or device settings to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser or mobile device. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used on the Site, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Site.
|Type of Cookies||Description and Further information||Source of cookies|
|Essential||These cookies allow this Site to function operationally, for example, so that you can move from one page to another on the Site.||First and Third party cookies:|
|These cookies allow this Site to function operationally, for example, so that you can move from one page to another on the Site.|
|Security||We use these cookies to support and enable security features on the Site. These help to protect your information from unauthorized access.||First and Third party cookies:|
|Functionality||These provide functionality so that we can deliver and customize our services provided to you. We may also use these cookies and similar technologies to help us provide you and others with social plugins and other customized content and experiences, for example, suggesting Products you may be interested in. Also this allows us to recognize when you are logged in so that we can show your account information and enable you to update your details.||First and Third party cookies:|
Google Analytics, for more information please visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en
|Retargeting and advertising||These cookies allow us to display interest- based adverts to you which we think may be relevant to you based on your applicable market segment. These cookies also mean that you see adverts for our services during your browsing experience online. For more information on these cookies, and to update your preferences, please visitwww.youronlinechoices.com .||First party and third party cookies including|
Google Ads for more information on how to opt out please see https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB
Social Media Platforms
Our site may from time to time allow you to interact with social media platforms such as Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook. We will host our own accounts on these services. If you are already registered with these platforms, when you interact with our Site or our accounts on such platforms, cookies from these platforms may be set as well. Use of these cookies is governed by these third party privacy policies and you should consult these as to understand how to configure your privacy settings.
Uses made of your information
We use your personal information which we collect to:
- enable us to provide you with the services and information offered through the Site and which you request;
- connect HMRC with Customers so that Customers are able to submit VAT forms;
- to resolve or troubleshoot any problems;
- administer your account with us;
- analyse the data from the Site;
- improve the layout and/or content of the pages of the Site and customise them for users;
- send you information about our services which we think will be of interest to you (which may also contain promotions from third party sources); and
- identify visitors or users of the Site.
Please note that where you opt-out of receiving such promotional information from us, we may still send you service communications about your use of the Site and the related services you have requested from us.
Information sharing within our platform
For registered Customers:
Your contact details, name, address, email, contact number and applicable purchase information will be shared with HMRC as well as Kaara.
We may disclose aggregate statistics about visitors to the Site and our services in order to describe our services to prospective partners, sponsors and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personally identifiable information.
We may disclose your personal information to any of our affiliates, or to our agents, third party service providers or contractors who assist us in providing the services we offer through the Site, processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, receiving and sending communications, updating marketing lists, analysing data, providing IT and other support services or in other tasks, from time to time. Our agents and contractors will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions.
In the event that we undergo re-organisation or are sold to a third party, you agree that any personal information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party.
We may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law, regulations, the order of a court or if we believe that such action is necessary to prevent fraud or cybercrime or to protect the Site or the rights, property or personal safety of any person.
The Site may, from time to time, make chat rooms, message boards, newsgroups and/or other public forums available to its users. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when using these and never disclose your personal information.
The Site may, from time to time, contain links to external sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites.
We place great importance on the security of all personal information associated with our users. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to personal information. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via the Site whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
It is advisable to close your browser when you have finished your user session to help ensure others do not access your personal information if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place.
Storage of your information
Your personal information which we collect is sent to and stored on secure servers located in the United Kingdom. Such storage is necessary in order to process the information. Personal information may be transferred by us to our other offices and/or to the third parties mentioned in the circumstances described above (see Information sharing), which may be situated outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and may be processed by staff operating outside the EEA. The countries concerned may not have similar data protection laws to the EEA. Where we transfer your personal information we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected. By using the Site, you agree to this storing, processing and/or transfer.
You have a legal right under the Data Protection Act 1998 to a copy of all the personal information about you held by us. On request, we will provide you with a copy of this information subject to a fee not exceeding the maximum amount permitted by law. You also have a right to correct any errors in that information. As mentioned above, you have a right to prevent the use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
307 Landmark West Tower,
22 Marsh Wall,